My third post on the Harvard Business Review site went live today. The post was written in collaboration with H. James Wilson and is titled, 8 Ways to Democratize Experimentation. Building on our previous post on experimentation, in this post, we offer 8 tips for organizations to consider as they try to infuse experimentation as part of every employee's work.
- Increase managerial attention.
- Train employees on the basics of conducting experiments.
- Accept that experimentation is a messy and untidy process.
- Deploy organizational resources and assets to give employees the time and space to experiment with their ideas.
- Build a process whereby experiments can be conducted in a systematic manner.
- Create a platform or bulletin board.
- Give intrinsically motivated experimenters the same care provided to "sanctioned," large-scale experiments.
- Start a working papers and presentation series for both researchers and practitioners.
We would love to hear your comments on the ideas presented.